Property Managers: Website
Fairlington is by far the largest condominium community in Arlington, covering 340 acres on either side of I-395, and is located 5 minutes from the Pentagon and Washington, D.C. The architecture reflects the charm of yesteryear, offering brick colonial style, slate roofs, courtyards and tree-lined streets. The architects, Kenneth Franzheim and Alan B.Mills, created a project with lasting significance and usage by designing the buildings in varied patterns, rather than just laying them out in a traditional grid format. There are over 1,000 residential and non-residential buildings, with over 60 residential building types.
Fairlington consists of seven (7) condominium communities comprising North and South Fairlington. At the prompting of President Franklin D. Roosevelt, the federal government’s Defense Homes Corporation (DHC) originally constructed the townhouses and apartments that now comprise Fairlington, between 1942 and 1945, as housing for defense workers and their families, in response to the DC housing shortage brought on by World War II. With 3,439 apartments, it was the largest apartment complex in the nation at that time. In the 1970’s the units were renovated and converted to condominium housing. Each of the seven communities has become a historic district, and in December 1998, the Commonwealth of Virginia added Fairlington to the Virginia Landmarks Register. In March 1999, the Federal Government selected Fairlington for the National Register for Historic Places.
Fairlington offers over 29 various floor plans ranging from 700- 2,145 square feet.
Side Note- Architects Franzheim and Mills, collaborated on two other DHC apartment projects in the area, McLean Gardens and Naylor Gardens.
• Washer / Dryer in Unit
• Pet Friendly
• Floorplans with Dens (Barcroft, Edgewood, Hermitage, Monticello)
• Floorplans with Lofts (Bradford, Ashlawn, Berkeley, Sherwood)
• Private Patios (Select Units)
• Balconies (Select Units)
• 1-Level, 2-Story or 3-Story Living
• Over 29 floor plans to choose from
• Snow Removal
• Trash Removal
• Building & Road Maintenance
• Outdoor Pool with Kiddie Pool
• Community Center
• Exercise Room
• Recreation Center
• Basketball Courts
• Tennis Courts
• Playgrounds & Tot Lots
The Fairlington Community Center (MetroBus 22A & 25AFGJPR) offers 6 multipurpose rooms, art studios, gymnasium, fitness room, outdoor basketball courts, showers, rectangular field, fitness trail, picnic shelter and playgrounds.
Programs/Activities offered at Fairlington Community Center:
• Fairlington Cooperative Pre-School (M-F: 9am- 12 noon; Ages 3-5)
• Fairlington Cooperative Playgroup (M-F: 9:30am-11:30 am; Ages 1-3)
• Arlington Mill at Fairlington Senior Programs (Tu-Fri 8:30am-1:30 pm; Ages 55+)
• VCE Virginia Cooperative Extension (M-F: 8am-5pm)
• Fair Gold’s Social Group (1st & 3rd Thursday of the Month; Ages 55+)
• Open Play in Gymnasium (Saturday, 3pm-5pm; Ages 13 years & younger)
*Information is deemed to be accurate but not guaranteed*
*Contact local school boards for school boundaries, as they are subject to change*